1. William Henry Heard
2. Pvt/Cpl, Co. D “Clan McGregor,” 1st Arkansas Regiment
3. Born June 13, 1840, Chico County, Arkansas. Died (on Feb. 2, as noted in his widow’s pension request, or on April 2, as listed on his headstone), 1902, in Arkansas City, Kan. Enrolled in Georgetown College, Kentucky. Enlisted Pine Bluff, Ark., May 1, 1862, age 21 years and 11 months.
Pvt. Heard fought with the Army of Tennessee beginning with the Battle of Farmington, May 9, 1862; and continuing through such battles as Stones River, Chicamauga, Chattanooga, Atlanta, Kennesaw Mountain, and Spring Hill. He was promoted to corporal, Oct. 1, 1863. He was captured during the Battle of Franklin on Nov. 30, 1864. He was transported to Camp Douglas in South Chicago and interned there for six months.
Transferred to New Orleans on May 4, 1865, Cpl. Heard was sent to Natchez, Miss., where he was paroled on May 23, 1865. Following the war, he returned to college and, in 1869, graduated with a medical degree from the University of Louisville, Ken.
Dr. Heard practiced medicine and surgery for many years in Jackson County, Ark., and was named assistant surgeon at the United States Marine Hospital, one of a number of hospitals operated by the U.S. Public Health Service to serve seaman and riverboat crewmen. He served on the Arkansas Board of Medical Examiners, and served one term as Jackson County Treasurer.
On Feb. 25, 1879, Dr. Heard married Martha Pope Foushee, age 17, of Missouri. The couple had two children, Kate P. and Walter L. (my grandfather).
4. Captured, Battle of Franklin, Nov. 30, 1864
5. See above.
6. Dr. Heard was the father of Walter L. Heard, my grandfather; who was the father of William H. Heard, my father; and I am William H. Heard, Jr. My son is William H. Heard, III.
7. Dr. Heard is buried at Walnut Grove Cemetery, Newport, Jackson County, Ark.
8. Photo to come.
9. Documents available upon request.
10. William H. Heard, Jr.
1150 Anchorage Ln., #202
San Diego, CA 92106
11. You have permission to publish this information on your web site.